g). phil

HOBBIES & INTERESTS

I enjoy time with my family by reading, singing, sailing, snorkeling, diving & cooking.

EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY

Apart from a safe and secure environment for living and learning, a well-rounded education is one of the most important prerequisites for the future of our children of the world. The convergence of inexpensive personal computers, expanding wire and wireless IT infrastructure and increasingly more sophisticated (i.e., user friendly) graphic user interfaces brings to the educational arena unlimited digital resources. Students learn at their own pace, using standards-based curriculum for content, key performance indicators as assessment benchmarks and just-in-time instructional delivery at the speed of thought. With the wealth of available information comes a need for teachers to adopt the new philosophy—teach as a “guide by the side”, not a “sage on the stage”. This new teaching style is exciting to observe and is very positive for students as they take control of their own educational career, and, ultimately, their destiny.

It is truly an exciting time for education, as a bulk of the change will be the joint responsibility of the school and community working together; students, teachers, administration, school board members, parents, and community members building this school/community culture vital to the success of every community. The educational leader has a responsibility to the community to see that this culture is respected and supported. Children need to be using cutting-edge technology and to learn about “good old fashioned” common sense for an integrated combination of high tech/high touch experiences.

My leadership style reflects a community building approach—participatory, and with emphasis on continuous improvement within the school/community culture. Parents, teachers and students in my schools enjoy many rights and responsibilities in and around the school environment while respecting that the required academic achievement levels are exceeded and the emotional and social development of each student is addressed and supported as defined by the mission of the school.

My job is to continuously assess the systemic needs in the school and community and find ways to help those who are troubled or confused to help themselves. I consider the teachers to be the front line experts in the classroom setting. They have a true need to continually improve their craft so professional development is a high priority for staffing needs. My teachers rely on me and on their team members for support and frank, positive exchange of information. In turn, everyone feels free to solicit advice and continuous feedback from each other. This give and take setting of trust and communication allows for people to do their best.

I subscribe to the educational philosophy identified in “The Basic School: A Community for Learning”, by Dr. Ernest L. Boyer. The following quote from this great book sums up Boyer’s seminal work on school and community.

“The Basic School is about helping each child build a life as if it were a work of art.”